21 Best Sales Qualification Questions
Sales qualification is one of the most important parts of the B2B lead generation process. That's why it's so important to ask prospective customers the right questions.
For this article, we spoke with two stand-out members of Cognism’s high-flying B2B sales team to provide you with a list of sales qualification questions you must ask at both of these stages.
There’s no time like the present, so let’s dive right in!
What is sales qualification?
We asked Bradley Davies who is a committed sales professional with years of experience working in Business Development and Account Executive roles.
Here's how he explained the sales qualification definition:
Qualification is the process of evaluating whether a prospect is a good fit for your product or service. The core principle is to identify the prospect’s pain and judge if your solution can be prescribed to fix it.
Why is sales qualifying important?
All salespeople are fighting against the clock. We’ve all got targets to hit and a finite amount of time in which to hit them. You don’t want to be wasting your time on a prospect that isn’t a serious contender for making a purchase.
This is why qualification is important - it saves you time and means that you can quickly see if the prospect is a good candidate to be progressed to the next stage.
What is the correct sales qualification process?
At Cognism, we teach our sales team to qualify new SQL leads according to the BANT criteria:
- Budget - Is the lead willing and able to spend?
- Authority - Is the lead the ultimate decision-maker?
- Need - Does the lead have a problem that your product can solve?
- Timing - Is the lead looking to buy quickly?
All of the questions we recommend our SDRs ask during the qualification are based around these four areas.
Bradley had some top tips on qualifying questions for sales:
Use open-ended questions to get the prospect talking. These are questions that don’t elicit a ‘yes’ or ‘no’ response. They help to get a conversation going. The more information you get from the prospect, the easier it is to qualify them.
If you find you can’t qualify the prospect, walk away. Never close a client that you know you won’t be able to deliver to.
Sample sales qualifying questions
- What does your current sales strategy look like?
- How does your sales team generate new leads?
- Who would normally be involved in buying decisions for new tech?
- What tools are you currently using?
- What regions are you looking to prospect into?
- Have you used data providers in the past?
- What did you like about them? What did you dislike?
- What are your current business growth goals?
- Are you in a position to take on new clients right now?
Tip! Find out more about the discovery call and questions you should ask during this stage.
Get more sales tips from Cognism
At Cognism, we’re proud to share the knowledge of our staff. We want to help other companies scale and grow in the same way that we have. Thanks to Bradley and Jonathon for their insights!
Every day, we share the best of our content on LinkedIn - follow us here 👇