Apollo.io vs ZoomInfo
How does Cognism compete with Apollo.io and ZoomInfo?
- Access to global data without geographical restrictions (NAM, APAC, and leading EMEA coverage).
- 2x more cell phone numbers than Apollo and other providers.
- 47 million mobiles in the US alone.
- Phone-verified cell phone database.
- Research and verification service on demand.
- CCPA & GDPR compliance with broader DNC list cleaning.
- Intent data powered by Bombora.
- Seamless integrations with best-in-class tools (Outreach, Salesforce, etc.)
- Simple, predictable pricing.
- Unrestricted viewing and page-level exporting of emails & cell phone numbers. Subject to a generous fair usage policy.
- Easy set-up.
ZoomInfo vs Apollo.io: Data
Buyers frequently compare how many email addresses and direct phone numbers ZoomInfo and Apollo have. So, let’s look at those numbers.
- The ZoomInfo contact database is said to have 220 million active contacts, over 150 million email addresses and 50 million direct dials in its contact database.
- In comparison, Apollo.io has over 265 million contacts at over 70 million companies, 165 million email addresses and 120 million phone numbers (according to Apollo.io’s homepage).
Both ZoomInfo and Apollo.io are based in the US, and according to Klue, a market intelligence platform, this is where their data coverage is the best.
According to Apollo.io T&Cs, its extensive database includes user-submitted data. So, by using Apollo, customers agree to give Apollo an irrevocable license to use their data, even after they stop using Apollo’s software. So even if you’re signing up for their free plan, you’re adding to their database.
On the other hand, ZoomInfo has built its platform by acquiring competitors. In recent years, their focus seems to have shifted from being a prospecting data provider to a sales workflow management solution.
Which is more accurate, ZoomInfo or Apollo.io?
Despite their best efforts, no data provider is 100% correct in all areas. A recent survey of Pavilion members who recently evaluated ZoomInfo vs Apollo’s data quality revealed areas where both providers could improve.
Survey participants mentioned Apollo’s weak email verification and missing cell phone numbers, whereas ZoomInfo needed to improve its global data footprint, especially EU coverage and refresh its contact information.
Tired of hit-and-miss?
Try Cognism's database
- 2x more cell phone numbers worldwide than other providers.
- 47 million cell phone numbers in the US alone.
- Exclusive phone-verified mobile numbers dataset (Diamond Data®).
- CCPA & GDPR compliant.
- DNC cleaning in 12 countries.
How about phone-verified cell phone numbers?
Diamond Data® is Cognism’s premium phone-verified database of cell phone numbers. Our data research team checks the numbers’ accuracy by calling the prospects.
- Over 10m+ phone-verified contacts globally
- Phone-verified mobile number accuracy to help you connect with 87% of your list.
- 3x increase in connect rate.
Cognism’s data team can also source and verify cell phone numbers on demand. Neither ZoomInfo nor Apollo.io offer similar services.
ZoomInfo vs Apollo cost
The main difference between Apollo.io and ZoomInfo’s pricing?
Apollo pricing offers monthly and yearly subscriptions and a self-service signup flow. In contrast, ZoomInfo offers long-term contracts, and its pricing is available after a consultation.
For this reason, Apollo.io is generally considered to be cheaper than ZoomInfo and other sales prospecting tools.
Despite these differences, Apollo’s and ZoomInfo’s prices are based on a credit system that limits viewing and exporting data. Monthly caps, resets, and expensive ‘add-ons’ often pose some challenges:
- Scarcity mindset among your team — reps are more focused on optimising credit consumption than developing best practices for prospecting.
- Unpredictable spend — e.g. ZoomInfo charges a credit for every company and contact export which may consume double the credits if the account isn’t already in their CRM. Similarly, Apollo charges one credit for email and another credit for a phone number. Apollo.io reviews on G2 complain about the low credits and high costs.
- Limited opportunities - companies with an international presence or trying to expand to new markets may find the price for ZoomInfo’s Data Passport for prospecting outside the US hard to justify.
- Slow growth — despite relatively cheap plans, Apollo offers very limited access to mobile and export credit (max. 125 and 2000, respectively in its highest plan). It may become problematic for businesses with ambitious growth goals or companies in highly competitive markets.
Pricing that solves these pain points
Cognism is seat-based, and licence cost depends on your required workflow.
Seats for individual contributors and teams with operational workflows with bulk-list building and exporting.
Unrestricted* access viewing and individual & page-level exporting mobile numbers and emails (vs Apollo’s limits on mobile and export credits).
No extra charge for access to global data — NAM, EMEA, and APAC (vs ZoomInfo’s regional data add-ons).
All packages include firmographic data, technologies, and sales trigger events.
Access to the Cognism Web App, integrations (including two-way Salesforce integration), and Cognism Chrome Extension that fit into your workflows.
ZoomInfo vs Apollo.io: Compliance
ZoomInfo is CCPA and GDPR-compliant. The provider also checks do-not-call lists in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, New Zealand, the UK, and the US.
Apollo.io is CCPA compliant and also claims it’s compliant with GDPR. Apollo has recently started offering DNC list cleaning in the UK & US only. The provider charges one credit if a phone revealed is on a DNC list and claims it is then at the users' discretion to decide if they call or not.
Why is DNC list cleaning important?
If a salesperson reaches out to someone who has opted out of sales and marketing phone calls, they may be accused of not having “a legitimate interest” for contacting that person.
The Information Commissioners’ Office (ICO) has issued fines totalling £180,000 for two companies that made more than 480,000 unlawful marketing calls to businesses signed up with the UK’s “Do not call” register.
How do customers evaluate the providers?
“Firstly, we trialled Apollo using a test data sample which didn’t produce adequate results.
"We proceeded to evaluate ZoomInfo but found the data to be too US-centric. This didn’t fit our ICP of targeting UK companies.”
“Cognism is essential to our tech stack and for influencing our deals. The superb data quality has instilled a unique level of confidence in the SDRs.“
Marc Parsons, SDR Team Lead at OneUp Sales
“Our legal team reviewed ZoomInfo’s GDPR standards in Europe, and they were not up to scratch. As a result, they removed the European team’s access to the platform, which massively impacted our sales output."
"A core reason for unlocking the Cognism conversation was for its compliant reputation."
Pierre Bourguignon, SDR Manager at Cloudreach
GDPR compliant by default
Cognism has the edge over ZoomInfo and Apollo if compliant data is your number one priority. On top of being CCPA and GDPR compliant, we check more European DNC lists than ZoomInfo and Apollo.io.
Cognism checks the DNC lists in the following countries to remove the risk from our customers:
- TPS/CTPS in the UK.
- DNCs in the USA, Canada, Australia, Germany, France, Spain, Ireland, Belgium, Croatia, Portugal, and Sweden.
Apollo vs ZoomInfo: Integrations
ZoomInfo and Apollo.io are both end-to-end platforms that aim to consolidate tech solutions. Having more features in one tool means less internal work and a smaller tech stack.
But on the downside, their focus is on developing proprietary technology rather than investing developers’ time into improving integrations with other tools.
A provider that integrates into your tech stack
Cognism is investing in building robust integrations and workflows to allow your sales team to reduce unnecessary admin and manual work needed to get the data in their systems.
Cognism Chrome Extension is a game-changer in the SDR world. It works over Outreach, HubSpot, and Salesforce so that you can enrich prospect records without leaving the tools.
Intent data: ZoomInfo or Apollo.io?
Another significant difference between ZoomInfo vs Apollo is the source of their intent data.
ZoomInfo leverages proprietary machine-learning technology to recognise leads who are ready to buy. It collects intent data from a variety of sources, and it’s believed ZoomInfo relies on bidstream data.
Apollo intent, on the other hand, partnered with LeadSift (a Foundry company) that gathers buying intent in several ways, including crawling millions of public web documents, such as social media sites, blogs, forums, research sites, and hiring boards.
Cognism's intent data powered by Bombora:
- Is consent-based and collected from a cooperative of 5,000 B2B sites, where B2B buyers actively research a topic when they’re ready to make a purchase.
- Considers the historical baseline or typical content consumption when calculating intent.
- Considers the context and the length of each interaction.
- Has a 70% exclusive dataset.
- Tracks 12,000+ intent topics (vs ZoomInfo's 4,000).
Which is better, Apollo.io or ZoomInfo?
Both providers have extensive databases, but you may find they lack company or contact data in your niche or target market. So the best way to evaluate Apollo.io vs ZoomInfo is to sample their data.
Book a call with our team and get a sample of Cognism data. Our sales rep will run a live search in our database to source leads that match your ICP.
Which is better in the UK and Europe, ZoomInfo or Apollo.io?
Some North American companies use ZoomInfo and Apollo in the US. However, when they have subsidiaries or customers in the UK and Europe, they turn to Cognism to get better European coverage.
Cognism prides itself on being a leader in European data and GDPR compliance. Choosing regional providers across different offices helps international businesses complete and validate data their primary vendors provide.
Put Cognism to the test
Cognism is dedicated to powering global sales funnels by providing the most accurate and compliant data. We’ve helped B2B businesses:
- Increase qualified leads by 60%
- Decrease speed to lead time by 93%
- Increase meetings booked by 70%
- A 240% increase in opportunity creation.
- A 51% increase in retention and growth.
Try it for yourself! Click to get a free data sample 👇