Marketing email signatures might be small, but they’re mighty important!
Because they help you to build marketing momentum.
- More traffic through CTAs.
- More emails with a personal touch.
And that’s just scratching the surface!
But here’s the thing.
An email signature that just states you’re in B2B marketing won’t cut it. You need to go the extra mile, and give it something extra.
And that’s where this guide comes in handy. Because we’ll cover:
- What an email signature means in marketing.
- Why you should bother with an email signature as a marketer.
- What the best practices are for marketing signatures for email.
- How to tailor your email signature for marketing accordingly.
So, let’s get into it - scroll to get started 👇
What is a marketing email signature? 🤔
An email signature is usually a block of text at the bottom of your email, where you’d usually sign off.
It’ll include professional pieces of information, such as your job title, your company, and a phone number.
But that’s only scratching the surface.
Because a signature for marketing can specifically help you with your aims.
For example, you can connect with others in your industry via a LinkedIn CTA on your signature.
Alternatively, you can use your email signature to drive sign-ups to a webinar through a clickable banner.
When you use a generator tool you can create a signature that's ready to create some outbound marketing magic. Check out how Cognism's one works in the clip below👇
What are the benefits of marketing email signatures? ⬇️
So, now you’re clear on what a marketing email signature is.
What about the benefits?
There’s just something about a business card that screams professional.
It always looks so cool in the movies or tv shows when someone says “Here’s my card if you’ve got any more questions.”
And there’s no reason you can’t feel the same when you send an email.
Your marketing email signature is a great opportunity to show your contact information in a formal way.
And you’ll be taken seriously as a result, because you’ve shown initiative, in the eyes of your recipients.
We’ve all been in that HORRIFYING situation where we send an email and it’s taken the wrong way.
Because let’s say you include a good-quality photo of yourself in your signature. Immediately, your audience can put a face to a name.
And it’ll feel like they’re having a direct conversation with you.
In marketing it’s about creating value-led relationships. And being able to connect with your ICP in a meaningful way.
And what better way to do this than over your marketing email signature?
Helpful for increasing traffic🚦
B2B marketers aren’t going to be strangers to the following phrases:
- Click-through rates and open rates.
- Engagement rates.
- Sign-ups from webinars.
- Audience targeting.
And a tailored marketing email signature can really help you with these goals. It’s about the long-term compound effect that comes from having an email signature that’s well thought out.
Let’s use the LinkedIn example from earlier, to demonstrate this.
Let’s say you’re in the world of demand gen marketing.
LinkedIn is a huge part of the dark funnel approach. Because it’s a platform where your audience (your ICP) are hanging out.
Here’s what happens when you include a LinkedIn CTA:
- Recipient opens and reads your email.
- They see at the bottom of the email your signature, including a LinkedIn CTA to your company page.
- Recipient engages and interacts with LinkedIn page. (E.g.) Share some of the posts or leave comments.
You’ve just generated and maintained a relationship outside of email with someone who fits your target market.
The return on investment from just this one particular CTA is huge! Because you’ve just generated brand awareness on another level!
What are the best practices for marketing email signatures?🔝
It’s clear email signatures are beneficial.
But before you go any further, here are some things to bear in mind when creating your marketing email signature:
Include basic information ☎️
Before you do anything else, make sure you include:
- Your name
- Your phone number
- Your job title
- Your company name
These are the basic components of an email signature for marketing that you can’t forget.
Once you’ve covered these points, you can focus on tailoring the rest of your email signature for marketing.
State your job level 👤
This is an important way to make your email signature as a marketer, as tailored as possible.
So, state your exact job title and level within the team or organisation.
- Are you a Chief Marketing Officer (CMO)?
- Are you a Deputy Marketing Manager?
- Are you a Marketing Executive?
- Do you head up a team within the overall marketing department? For example, are you a Content Marketing Manager or Customer Marketing Manager?
Include a professional photo 📷
Having a photo of yourself is one of the easiest ways to personalise your emails.
As a marketer, it’s important for recipients to feel as if they’re communicating with you - not a bot.
It comes back to building relationships. So having a professional photo will make you appear approachable, and willing to educate and help your ICP.
Whatever you do, don’t include a pixelated image of yourself. Or even worse, a cringey photo of you from when you were young.
It’ll just reduce the overall quality and effectiveness of your marketing email signature.
Include relevant CTAs ⏭
CTAs are a no-brainer.
They’re a fundamental part of b2b marketing.
But it’s also important not to include every single one you can think of. Stick to 1 or 2 that are tailored and relevant.
And why no more than 2 CTAs?
Well, your clickable email signature for marketing will just look crowded. And since it’s an important marketing material, don’t overwhelm your recipient with lots of buttons and icons.
Keep it simple!
In the next section you’ll find out which CTAs you might want to use, depending on the type of marketer you are.
But here is a list of some standard or basic ones to get you brainstorming:
- Clickable social media icons.
- Clickable PDF icons linking to white papers, case studies, eBooks.
- Clickable banners linking to sign-up pages for webinars or other live events.
- Clickable YouTube icons or thumbnails for video content.
Have a simple design template ✏️
Don’t get overly creative.
There’s nothing wrong with a colour and font scheme. But stick to one.
Because the moment you start experimenting with the wrong colours or more than one font, your marketing email signature will just look spammy and off-putting.
Who wants that? (Hint: the answer is no-one)
And on the other side, don’t over simplify things. Because plain, text-only signatures aren’t going to help you - at all.
We recommend using an email signature generator tool.
Set up and track metrics for your email signature 📊
Looking at data is an important task for any marketer.
And as your email signature is a marketing tool, it’s super handy to measure how it’s doing.
Following certain metrics will help you determine if you need to revisit your email signature, where it be changing the design or the CTAs.
Keep an eye on stats like:
- Open rates on your emails (track and see whether it’s increased since the moment you included a signature)
- For content marketers - have a look and see whether your email signature has increased the engagement on content you’ve originally shared.
- For example: let’s say you link a newsletter sign-up form. Have you seen an increase in a number of sign-ups, and does it correlate to a higher number of clicks on the signature CTA?
Once you understand the stats, you can A/B test different email signatures. And see whether your marketing email signature is aiding or harming your campaigns.
How can I tailor my marketing email signature? 👔
So far, you know:
- What to include in a marketing email signature.
- What to bear in mind when creating it.
What comes next?
Just add a generic email signature that just labels you as “marketer”?
NO! NO! NO!
In this section we’ll show you how to tailor your email signature, depending on what part of marketing you might be in.
And you’ll notice that in each case, you’ll be adding value for your recipients in a different way.
Let’s dive in👇
Content marketing email signatures 💻
Content distribution is a hugely important.
And marketing email signatures can give your content distribution strategy a boost.
Because not only will you be able to share content with your recipients. Instead it’ll be like a content exchange - and you can generate a real relationship with your recipient.
And this matters.
Because let’s say it’s a big name that lands in your inbox. You’ve now got a contact you can call on for a podcast episode or a blog interview in the future.
So, how might you achieve this?
Well, here are some ideas for content you could link in your email signature:
- Link to a latest blog post as a clickable icon or CTA.
- Link to a CTA for a newsletter sign-up.
- Social media icons linking to updates and insights within your industry.
- Video link to a webinar or video with actionable takeaways.
And the list goes on…
Helpful hint: link to ungated content in your email signature - you'll immediately deliver value!
Customer marketing email signatures 🤝
Your customers hate spam mail.
It’s a space with an opportunity for you to generate and nurture relationships with customers. You’ll appear to be going above and beyond.
Here are some ideas for what you might want to include👇
- CTAs linking to sign-up pages for upcoming customer summits or webinars.
- Clickable icon(s) linking to G2 reviews.
- Clickable PDF icon linking to a really popular case study from your blog.
- CTA linking to the latest installment of a customer newsletter.
Remember, as a customer marketer it’s your duty to make sure your emails are adding value. Don’t bombard your customers with irrelevant content in your marketing email signature!
Events marketing email signatures 🍾
Mass sending an email invitation isn’t going to work.
Because as we’ve said before, it’s just going to be classed as spam.
Instead, offer value - don’t just promote the event. And a marketing email signature can help you with this:
- Use CTAs to share content that relates to the event you’re aiming to promote.
- Use a CTA banner or clickable icon that links to the events page itself. That way recipients can take a look at the content surrounding the event, what they’ll learn, and sign-up. This way it’s way less aggressive and not so promotional.
Once recipients have signed up, segment your emails so you can create a personalised, relevant email signature.
For example, recipients who have already signed up can receive an email signature with a CTA linking to content to consume prior to the event.
Think outside the box!
Product marketing email signatures👇
Product marketers have a crucial role:
Launch a product, and ensure salespeople and customers understand it. They’re also responsible for everything related to positioning and messaging.
And the marketing email signature provides a great way to achieve this. Here’s how:
- You can include a clickable YouTube icon linking to a product demo.
- You can include a clickable icon linking to a sign-up page where customers can book a demo for themselves.
- If you’re in an email chain with a new customer, link a CTA that motivates them to enroll in product onboarding.
- You can use your email signature as an opportunity to include CTAs linking to important product-related content, such as:
- Updates (Upselling or new features)
Marketing email signature takeaways 🔑
Who knew there was so much information on marketing email signatures?
- It’s useful and important to have a marketing email signature because it’ll help you appear professional and professional in the eyes of your recipients (i.e. others in the industry or your ICP).
- Email signatures will allow you to fulfill your goals as a marketer.
- There are 5 things to bear in mind when creating your marketing email signature:
- Basic information.
- A professional photo.
- A maximum of 2 relevant CTAs.
- A simple design template.
- Some form of tracking to see if your email signature is aiding your marketing efforts.
- Finally, it’s important to tailor your email signature for marketing.
And there you have it.
You now have all of the tools to create a signature for marketing.
Success is right around the corner!
Use our generator tool to create your customised marketing email signature.